[CAUT] Semantics

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon May 18 09:04:37 MDT 2009

Richard Adkins wrote:
> Not to continue a very very long and over winded discourse, but I read
> this last week.
>
>  From the Baldwin Piano Co. website:
>

> "Meticulously constructed and tapered, Baldwin soundboards amplify the
> string energy to produce a rich, sustaining tone."
>
> I guess they don't know what they are talking about, according to
> you and they
> build the pianos.

You didn't specify who "you" is, but I'll bite. Mason & Hamlin
still advertises their Tension Resonator as a crown retention
device, presuming soundboard crown is an end buttressed arch.
It isn't, and the Resonator doesn't support crown any more
than Baldwin's soundboards are amplifiers.

> Oh, and where does resonance come in to the equation? It seems to me the
> board is resonating to the frequencies set up by the energy imparted to
> the string under tension.

No. Ideally, the board reacts uniformly to any vibrational
frequency put into it, without any reinforcing resonance of
it's own at specific frequencies.
Ron N