[CAUT] M&H "A" stability

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Tue May 19 11:33:38 MDT 2009

All,

We have a 1992 Mason and Hamlin A that has had tuning stability problems for at least the last 8 years (since I've been here). It has been assigned to several solid tuners with the same outcome, so it's not that. It has been restrung twice, and the last time I put in a new Nossaman pinblock and made sure that it was installed properly, mated to the flange, horn wedge is in place, yaddah, yaddah.

The last restringing was 2 years ago, and I still need to tune it about every 3 weeks. The pitch doesn't go up and down, but individual notes just seem to go wild. I can't say that it is the same notes all the time, I don't think it is. All the normal prepping has been done, checked and rechecked.

Since it was fairly expensive to buy, and since it was a M&H I thought it should be in a classroom where they do masterclasses. After fighting it for nearly a year I put it in a practice room. Even worse results. Now it sits on its side in storage...

Any thoughts here? I've been told that the tension resonator should not be messed with, but could this be an issue? What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Jim Busby RPT
BYU