[CAUT] M&H "A" stability

Mccoy, Alan amccoy at ewu.edu
Wed May 20 10:43:59 MDT 2009

Hi Jim,

If it is anything like the BB I rebuilt a couple years ago, it is the
extreme counterbearing angles. This BB is from the 70s, you know the ones
where the angle is over 30 degrees?!! I ground the plate as much as I could
to lower the angle, and in the capo sections to reduce the duplex length.
The piano has always been a bear to tune. Now it is less of a bear, but
there is one section still that is exhibiting the symptoms you describe. The
upper two capo sections are fine, as are the agraffe sections, but that
first capo section, where most pianos have agraffes, is the problem now. I
ground that section down as much as I dared (the plate was pretty thick
there) but the angle is still more than I'd like. I put in a brass
half-round bearing there to take the load instead of felt, and that helps
too. Just needs more help. I go over that section several times each tuning.
I'm hoping one of these days it'll settle down.

I have some before and after pictures at home. If you are interested, I'll
send you some.

Alan