[CAUT] Y & C action brackets

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat May 23 09:19:42 MDT 2009

I thought I'd heard that since all the affected pianos were out of warranty that Y/C was not paying for the labor anymore, so I'd just been billing the customer for the entire job that needed to be done.  I admit I haven't been asking Y/C if they pay anything, and yours and Scott's posts are enlightening.  I do agree that if they are paying that much, it is pretty generous at this point, considering the company's financial difficulties over the past few years.  I'm honestly surprised they're even providing the brackets at no cost.

Y/C is basically paying for you to replace the brackets, set the spread, regulate hammerblow distance, letoff and drop, which are the three adjustments most affected just by the movement of the brackets (i.e., make it work).  They are not paying for you to file hammers, regulate rep lever height, jack depth, checking, spring tension, keylevel, keydip or tune, all of which these pianos will need, some more than others.  The idea is to have the piano functioning only as it would have been functioning to this point if there had not been an action bracket problem, not compensate for all the adjustments that have been made to the action over the past several years.  We've known about this issue for a very long time now, and it should have been up to techs to be in the know and have these replacements done before rather than continuing with a bandaid approach.

But I will admit, Y/C paid me $235 for the first job I did 12 years ago.  Adjusted for inflation, $200 is actually a sizeable cut (235 would be 312 today, so it is a 36% cut).  Still, better than nothing since the pianos are technically out of warranty.

Jeff