[CAUT] Festspillene in Bergen

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri May 29 17:20:03 MDT 2009

Hi folks... Thanks for the great feedback.  Was feeling pretty nice
myself listening to that piece. Everything fell into place that nite,
not just my own work. As far as the piano itself..  Its a S&S D serial #
518xxx and the hammers were replaced by me last year. I took the set of
hammers I did at the last session of the Hamburg Academy and installed
them last year a month before the festival. Hammers are Hamburg S&S
originals.  My instructor was Georges Amman and we talked about the idea
of voicing these at the academy and installing them at Håkonshallen i
Bergen from day one. He said it was a great idea and a good exercise.

Tuning... :)... pretty much straight P 12ths as I've described on both
lists many a time. Tunelab assist.  Ear tweaked for clarity at the end.
Secrets... ?  I think the only real secret in this business is to just
never get up from the students bench and leave it behind you.  I had a
nice long talk with my co-festival technician these past couple years
since he joined us here in Norway, Eric Schandall this evening.  It
never ends... trying to get better. If there is a secret I guess its
hanging onto that thought as best as being human allows us to do.

For what its worth... tonights concert with Leif Ove Andsnes didnt come
out quite as well.  Oh the tuning was just as nice, and the piano was
even voiced up a tad, and quite evenly as well... But it was a Schumann
trio  C minor op 10 for those of you who know the music.  The cello and
violin actually kind of drowned out the piano,  recording is not as
successful, and in the hall the piano was a bit hard to find.  Different
player, different music... piano voiced up a bit... yet foggier.
Strange stuff ! :)  You can find this recording at the same spot... just
click on 29.05 instead of 28.05.  It is also in the second half of the
concert.

Great fun regardless.... pianist was very happy, as were the others and
it was a tremendous experience working with them for three days leading
up to tonites show.  I really do like the Festivals here in town.

Cheers
RicB

    Ric,

    Great recording!
    There are many many pianos in the states that would welcome your skills.

    Do you have any specifics on the piano? Make (assumed S&S) Year,
    Hammers, etc. etc..
    Any "special" set up techniques used during the prep?  Any secerets
    you wish to divulge?

    Also, wondering if you used one of those "as seen on the internet"
    tuning kits?  haha

    Keep up the good work.

    Gerry C

    West Chester University of PA