[CAUT] Jeanie's brain storm - was Boston changed to dealers...

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Wed Nov 25 07:47:16 MST 2009

No, not hat in hand.  If one sticks to dealers who want to know about problems and fix them this isn't a problem.  There are dealers that I have chosen not to work for.  If I were to go back to the customer after having reported a problem and the problem remains I'd say "Hmmm, this was supposed to be fixed."  Since most (but not all) warranties are 10 years or more, the piano would still be under warranty when I return to the customer.

If a dealer pays you for a service (free tuning, whatever) you are paid to work on his behalf so problems should be reported to him/her first.  You're there on his/her dime to make the dealership look good.  If that kind of work goes against your integrity you should refuse that type of work.  On the other hand this is generally a self-repairing problem.  If a dealer pays you to service a piano and you knock the piano making the dealership look bad the dealer will send someone else next time.  Problem solved.

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu