[CAUT] Grand Obsession

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Sep 1 14:37:20 MDT 2009

Hi all,
	I just finished reading the book, Grand Obsession by Perri Knize, and
would heartily recommend it to one and all. I was originally planning
to give it a miss, having read enough books that, well, get everything
technical about pianos wrong and are annoying as a result. But a
couple colleagues told me I had to read it, and I'm glad I did.
	It is worth getting hold of if only for the chapters about the
Grotrian-Steinweg factory and the German soundboard industry. But
there is a lot more. Issues of piano owner/pianist, and the
relationship with technicians, dealers, manufacturers. Getting at the
nitty gritty of communicating. Some deep philosophical stuff about
psychology, neurology, and vibrations. Descriptions of a wide variety
of piano dealers and salespeople. Spot on descriptions of people many
of us know: I found her portrayals of Steve Brady and Darrell Fandrich
particularly spot on.
	Very vivid and compelling writing, and very well researched and
vetted: most of the technical stuff about pianos is either
indisputably correct or well within the boundaries of what people
argue about.
	Oh, and that famous "Schubert concert tuning" that was mentioned on
this list a while back, a label Marc Wienert gave to a stretch style
based on clean double octaves (as is made pretty clear in the book):
this is the source.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico