[CAUT] apology (was Re: U. of Northern Iowa position)

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Thu Aug 12 15:26:24 MDT 2010

And, this is why the CAUT employment situation will never change for the better. It's not a chip. It is identification of the problems we need to fix. But, leave us alone. We like our lives the way they are. And that's why these job openings come open and nobody with skills wants them.
Jeff

Jeff.

We all recognize that there are employment problems with schools. It's one thing to criticize the schools that are not paying enough, or demand too much work from us. But it's a horse of a different color when you criticize the people who are doing the work, when we try to defend why certain requirements are necessary, or what skills we need to do our work.

If you had a problem with your school, I'm sorry, but that doesn't mean all of us had that problem. Have you ever considered why you think the faculty and administration at your old school didn't give you the respect you thought you deserved? Could it possibly be that they didn't respect you because you didn't have a degree in music? I was fired from UA, not because I didn't know what I was doing. I was fired because I was a Yankee. They never said that to my face, but when it comes down to it, that's what it was. For a while I was very bitter. But I have matured now, and have burned that bridge. I will probably never work for a university again, but I have come to grips with that, and I am happy about it. It's in the past, and I have no regrets. But I don't jump all over everyone who works for a university, and warn them that they could be next.

In other words, Jeff. Get over it. Accept the fact that some schools want a degree in music, and others don't. Some schools will pay just barely enough to feed a family, and some schools pay a very good salary. Some schools respect their piano technician, and other don't. These things will never change, no matter how hard you complain or try to blow your horn.

Wim