[CAUT] apology (was Re: U. of Northern Iowa position)

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Aug 12 15:45:11 MDT 2010

Exactly!!!

I scrapped for 16 years in an area with too much
competition...(Seattle...Puget Sound area)  Too much for a newby to
compete with some of the best techs in the country.  Just look at the list
of names in the Seattle Chapter, Puget Sound Chapter and Vancouver BC
chapter just to get started.

They are all great comrades of mine and even had the great advantage of
studying with Steve Brady. I miss them all, and now I'm a somewhat bigger
fish (not the biggest! I think that goes to Richard West!)  in a smaller
pond in Nebraska, but took their willingness to help a "new guy" get
things figured out, and apply it here as best I can, and I think I add to
the mix here with gaining respect. THANK YOU ALL MY FRIENDS IN THE GREAT
NW!!)

I find the faculty here very warm and welcoming to my work.  Only a few
are a bit too much in their own head, so I just let that water run off my
back. It's dirty and I don't want to drink it!! One will find that
anywhere; college setting or not!  I found some people in my former very
rural area somewhat gruff and "know-it-all" too.  Let it slide...that's
their deal.

   For the most part, especially the piano faculty, we are all now, great
comrades and deal with the sole purpose of being here...to educate new and
budding musicians. So close, in fact, that I visit their homes, not only
to tune, but have a scotch and cigar with some of them. I also tune the
Dean, Vice Chancellor's home and other high end folks in leadership here.
I also have great relationships with many grad students who look out for
the pianos as well and inform me of problems.  Some can, and do, go so far
as to retreive the dredded pencil/pen from the action, or just tell me
when a string breaks.

It's all in positive attitude as I see it.  If you stink a bad attitude,
your workmates and anyone, for that fact, will smell it and run away.

Sometimes, it's not about pay, (although I agree, it needs appropriate
adjustments), but mental "fitness" is needed to be a great CAUT. How one
treats faculty/staff/ leadership is at least as important, if not more,
than the day to day customer.

Anyone agree with this?

Best,
Paul