[CAUT] Installing New Let-Off Buttons

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Aug 24 06:03:25 MDT 2010

Here's a close-up photo of the hammer extraction pliers with the
bolt reversed. I have another shorter bolt which does not hang down
so I can install the buttons with the wippens in.

I use a hand-crank drill with the eyescrew bit installed to back the screws
up and let the buttons fall into a container. I may have to turn the screws
back down a little to get enough shank protruding below the rail to start
the button installation.

When replacing all the action parts, I prefer to replace the screws as well.
Bright & shiny for appearance and with the added strength of new metal.

The extractor is gripped tightly to secure the button to the rail and
I turn the screw in by hand until the button spins on the bolt head.

If you have all the parts off, consider reinforcing the rails with
sheet rock screws. The method is in the archives.
--

Regards,

Jon Page