[CAUT] Hailun & Suzuki vs. Yamaha

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Aug 27 15:31:02 MDT 2010

My question or statement is: Have you looked at Kawai's too.  A bit less
expensive than Yam's but a nice piano if prepped right.

Paul

From:
Fred Sturm <fssturm at unm.edu>
To:
caut at ptg.org
Date:
08/27/2010 01:37 PM
Re: [CAUT] Hailun & Suzuki vs. Yamaha

On Aug 27, 2010, at 7:37 AM, Aaron Bousel wrote:

> Everyone so far agrees we need to go w/ the Yamahas, but I need
> specific reasons why the Suzuki or Hailin's don't work---poor tone,
> action is known for too request repair

                 I will echo the opinion that Hailun is head and shoulders
above
Suzuki. I wouldn't be distressed to have some in my inventory - in
fact I think I would be happy to, but don't have enough experience to
know for sure. I have been favorably impressed with them the last
couple years at conventions. BTW, the US sales manager is Basilios
Strmenc (of Sauter), and tech support includes, I believe, Keith
Bowman and Mike Carrahar.
                 However, returning to the question at hand - how to deal
with this on
a state purchasing process basis - something that has occurred to me
is the possibility of using Larry Fine's book and web site as an
objective reviewer of brands. In fact, it might be possible to use it
to set up the bidding process, identifying brands and models that
would be found acceptable and comparable, and limiting bids to those.
Might be worth running that by the purchasing gods.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/FredSturm