[CAUT] Space usage survey

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Nov 9 21:19:52 MST 2010

On Nov 9, 2010, at 12:29 PM, Brown, David wrote:
> Just a quick post to ask  -  for those of you that have regular
> access to your concert instruments ( certainly not all of us, I
> know ), how much time do you normally ask for - receive –  require
> in your performance  halls ? And at what times of day?

I don't have a regular time, but do schedule a two hour period on
average once a week or week and a half. That allows enough time to
tune both instruments, and to do other necessary work as it arises. I
schedule typically 9-11 am (after the organ folks, before Music
Appreciation and the onslaught of rehearsals and studio classes).
	My strategy is to set up my schedule of times before the beginning of
the semester, when all faculty and guest recitals and ensemble
concerts are scheduled (well, usually) and before the students get a
crack at the schedule. I tune before (almost) every faculty or guest
recital using piano, then look to see if there are any gaps larger
than two weeks, and throw in another wherever that occurs. Then I
become flexible, especially towards the end of spring semester, giving
up half to an hour when needed. I do most major work on breaks and
over summer, or beginning of fall semester when the concert schedule
is quite thin.
	Scheduling in the afternoon or early evening is troublesome, and
always leads to requests to change, and to people running over time.
Mornings work pretty well.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain