[CAUT] cutting departments

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 12 11:32:50 MDT 2010

------------------------------

Tue, 12 Oct 2010 10:30:02 -0400 (EDT) From: PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com wrote:

>The enrollment in music departments is on the rise, as is the construction
>of new music facilities in a variety of locations. Is that a counter-trend?

Paul,

If what I see here at SFSU is any indication, music is a special case - as it happens to be a cash cow. A huge number of music majors here are foreign exchange students - who pay steep tuition and fees. A new music building has been in the works for years now - but considering the continuing California budget insanity (they passed a "smoke and mirrors" budget after 100 days of deadlock, with increased funding for higher education - - yay! - that is, if the Governator doesn't line-item veto it out...), it ain't going to happen any time soon... The building, that is... Too bad - those cash cows need a better pasture if they expect them to keep coming...

Another growth area is pop and commercial music (scoring movies, advertising and publicity clips, etc.) music production and the business of music - which have become fodder for academic study and degree programs. Also commercial art, industrial art and design and all such other fields which are parts of "arts" departments, but have little to do with humanities in the traditional sense. So no counter-trend here...

Israel Stein