[CAUT] Life Saver Systems on Vertical Classroom Pianos

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Tue Oct 26 00:48:22 MDT 2010

We have 4 classrooms with vertical pianos that are used for theory classes
and small vocal group rehearsals.  The pianos are unfortunately kept at a
diagonal in the front corner of the rooms on the side by the windows and
heat pumps that supply AC and heat, in order to avoid blocking blackboards
while still giving teachers easy access.  I've had no luck suggesting they
be kept on the side by the door or elsewhere, and I can understand why.

So, I'm thinking of installing Life Savers and back covers.  But I'm
wondering about safety of electrical cords from wall out to piano, maybe 4-5
feet or so.  Thought about those rubber cord protectors used in offices.
Also wonder if exposed back covers would be respected and hold up at all.

Anyone have a similar situation and use a system?  What luck?  Should I just
leave the pianos as they've been for years and tune more often, or go for
more stability?  We have a terrible problem with dry heat in winter, and the
heat pumps are turned on during the day and off all night, causing extremes
of temp and humidity.

Thanks for any input.
--
Paul Milesi, RPT