[CAUT] Humidity (HVAC codes)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Jan 13 09:15:35 MST 2011

On Jan 13, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:

> Put in a BIG room humdifier. Set a swamp cooler in the hallway. Fill
> it with a bucket. Plug it in.
>
> I know it's sounds ridiculous but so is what is happening. It's
> really a good idea when compared to lighting a piano on fire and
> claiming it was spontaneous combustion because of the low
> humidities. Attract some attention.
> <GRIN>

	More practically speaking, tape a garbage bag over the air ducts
(even just one of them, exhaust or the active one). Then a regular
room humidifier will do its job, like in a room in a house. The air
will get a bit stale over time, especially if the windows can't be
opened. But the piano will be happier.
	It would take an enormous output of moisture to counteract having the
entire volume of air in a room replaced at the standard rate, which I
think is as high as three times an hour. Does somebody know? My memory
is not clear on that, but I remember being astonished when I first
came upon the figure many years ago.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico