[CAUT] Sauter

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jan 21 19:07:57 MST 2011

On Jan 21, 2011, at 4:35 PM, Laurence Libin wrote:

> In your collective opinion, is Sauter sufficiently distinctive and
> important historically to deserve an entry in Grove? Other criteria
> include quality, innovation, influence. I don't have space for every
> respected maker but wouldn't want to overlook anyone remarkable.
> Advice appreciated, and any other suggestions.

	A short compendium of facts on which you might base a decision:
Old company, founded 1819, continues to be partially owned by the
founding family. Argued to be possibly the oldest in that respect
(Ibach being the other candidate).

Made uprights only until after WWII (probably squares as well early
on). So they were not especially at the forefront of things. The
exception comes in 1933(?) with the building of a set of microtonal
upright pianos (and one grand at 1/3 tone I believe, which now makes
me wonder about the information of being exclusively uprights and how
long) for the Mexican composer Julian Carillo. Exhibited at a world
exposition to some acclaim, but mostly forgotten until the latter part
of the 20th century, when a couple pianists and composers got serious
with a remaining 1/16 tone instrument. They persuaded Sauter to put it
back in production, and it is an available model today. Some
interesting music has been composed for it (I have a CD, and the music
is remarkable for its variety, in using the available sonic
resources). Not that widely known, though, outside a fairly small
circle. Who knows if it will grow into something significant.

The grands are very well made. There is an openness to experimentation
and connection with modern music. For instance, all their large grands
have the damper heads corresponding to white keys painted with a white
stripe, and there are colored lines on the soundboard corresponding to
three nodes, all very useful for inside the piano playing. I believe
these are Sauter exclusives. On the concert grand, they use titanium
bridge pins and an ebony bridge cap in the high treble, among other
features. This yields a great deal of clarity of tone. They are far
more forward thinking than some of the Germanic firms (Bosey and
Bluthner in particular), but not so close to the edge as Steingraeber.

So I guess it depends how many you are including and on exactly what
basis.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain