New Piano Page

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed, 05 Apr 1995 10:14:44 -0500

On Wed, 5 Apr 1995, Dennis Johnson wrote:

>         Forgive my slowness, but would this new page be as easy to access
> as our current server? It is hard to imagine anything easier than the type
> of system we have set up currently, and I for one have come to appreciate
> that convience. Would this still work with Eudora, for example?  Thanks.

We'll get you right up to speed on this, Dennis.

In order to view the new Piano Page, you must have one of three programs:

LYNX -- a text-only viewer.  You won't see pictures--and there are a few.

MOSAIC -- a full-featured viewer.  You'll see everything, pictures and
text alike.  Unlike LYNX, which is a move-the-curser environment, MOSAIC
is a point-and-click environment (read "Windows")

NETSCAPE -- I'm under the impression that NETSCAPE has become more
popular than MOSAIC because it's faster and seems to be less buggy.  Like
MOSAIC, NETSCAPE, is in a Windows environment.

Unfortunately, EUDORA is a mail and newsreader program.  I'm not aware of
EUDORA being capable of running a viewer (sometimes called a browser,
too).  *Fortunately*, because you're at an educational institution, you
shouldn't have any problem getting a free copy of either NETSCAPE
(recommended) or MOSAIC (if you insist) from either your Resource Center
or right off the internet.  Anyone can anonymously FTP a copy of Netscape
from ftp.netscape.com.  I believe that there is now a beta 2 verson
available.  It has a few more bells and whistles.  Netscape.com is a
fairly popular place these days.  You may have to try several times
before you'll even get on the server.  MOSAIC is available via anonymous
FTP from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/MOSAIC.  Go to MAC or PC depending on your
machine.  Make sure you read the FAQs and README files.

Good Luck!

Oh, the Page will be around before you know it....

Ron Torrella               "Ideal conversation must be an exchange of thought,
School of Music           and not, as many of those who worry most about their
University of Illinois    shortcomings believe, an eloquent exhibition of wit
                    or oratory." -- Emily Post, Etiquette