Hammers

Kenneth Sloane Kenneth_Sloane@qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu
Thu, 20 Apr 1995 11:13:18 -0500

                      Subject:                              Time:  10:57 AM
  OFFICE MEMO         Hammers                               Date:  4/20/95

I agree with David Stanwood about the Steinway hammer. Their hammers off their
new press are firmer than the cotton balls that CBS provided in years past;
and their weight, amount of felt, and density are, in general, good. I have
had some problems with quality control, but I send the bad sets back. To
control more of the dimensioning process myself, I order them raw. That means
we at Oberlin have to cut them to the overall length we want (no more short
tails), bore them, and then cove, side-taper and shape the tails. Just a hint
if you decide to order some Steinway "raw" hammers. Don't change the overall
length and see what happens when you regulate.

Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory