"New" tool: Metric tape

Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com Jim_Harvey@yca.ccmail.compuserve.com
Sun, 03 Dec 1995 00:19:18 -0500 (EST)

     The following is so much bandwidth to those in more metropolitan areas
     and/or you catalog freaks. A simple tape may not sound like much to
     you, but this is a FIND here in the boonies!

     I agree with John Hartman in the use of metric values when possible.

     Recently I was out of state, subcontracting to and assisting a
     colleague on several projects. One job was a bass bridge cap
     replacement. Prior to removing the cap, one of the measurements he
     took was a few reference string speaking lengths.

     He pulled out a tape, and asked me to manuever the hook end while he
     worked the business end. I did so without paying attention to the tape
     (once you've seen one tape...). To reinforce what he was writing on
     his project notes, he said "1176" aloud. At first this didn't
     register. Then it hit me and I asked, "Where did you get a value like
     that"?

     He grinned and passed me the body of the tape. As I inspected the
     markings, he saw my eyes light up. After the call, he took me to an
     industrial supplier and bought me one, which now resides in my tool
     kit.

     The tape is a Lufkin #W9210ME. It is compact, lightweight, squar(ish)
     for easy storage, and has a removable belt clip. Extended it goes to
     3m/10' (your choice for the diehards). It meets all the length
     qualifications for piano work (where a tape is applicable). If there
     is a downside, it's that there is no locking device for the blade. As
     mentioned, this was a gift, but I think the cost was around $8.00.

     Jim Harvey, RPT