Powertool Questions

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 02:13:01 -0500

>What I want to decide immediately is the cost effectiveness of a RADIAL ARM
>DRILL PRESS. The one I have looked at is a Craftsman 34", 360 degree
>rotation, one third HP, 5 speed motor. Are these type drills adaptable for
>pinblock drilling? Are they worth the investment for hammer boring?

3 or 4 RPT's in this area have the circa $350 Delta Radial Arm Drill Press,
and use it for all the normal drill press uses, and a few that you can only
do with a radial arm press. The main reason I bought one was for some keytop
replacement procedures done with a rotary file. Putting a slight angle on the
file allows removal of the new top overlap without taking a bunch of wood
along.

If you are thinking of using the angle capabilities of the press for hammer
drilling, it wouldn't be very convenient. I've used a couple of boring jigs
that could be used with a normal drill press, with good results. I believe
there was some good discussion in the past about these jigs, you might want
to look it up in the archives.

If I were starting over, I'd still buy the same press again.

Dave Stocker, RPT
firtree@aol.com
Tumwater, WA