Costly Internet

Paul Brown paulb@Direct.CA
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 00:05:02 -0800

Dave:  Originally I was connected to aol by tymnet which ran something like
$12 and hour (after the 10 free hours) at that time, plus any downloading
you did was double the fee. I not only am doing the web page (which does
take a lot of time on the internet) but play tournament chess over the net
(which can run three to four hours a game) and have an avid interest in
astronomy. I downloaded tons of chess archive files and other programs and
didn't really think about the downloading fee! I didn't realize until later
(my friends told me) that there were other internet services as well as
aol. That's when I started looking more than one dimensionally.

Actually, aol just dropped the rates to something like $4.75 per hour
(again downloading anything would be double). This was a much more
attractive cost, but
even with that, my bill for aol for December (with almost no useage) will
be $50Can, whereas my bill with Internet Direct for about 40 hours useage
will be only $23.Can. This is quite a big difference as you can see.

I just can't see why people don't want to save money and get a good service, eh?

Paul Brown, R.P.T.
Vancouver, B.C. Chapter #011
paulb@direct.ca