Dammp-Chaser Installation Charges

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Thu, 21 Dec 1995 02:33:13 -0500

>RESPONSE: I paid $400 to have it installed on my grand last summer.
>
>   Is this a normal price range for this type of thing. I admit I have very
>little experience installing dammp-chasers on grands, but this seems high
>to me.
>   Just curious.

Avery,

Your post doesn't say what size of grand or how many components were
installed.  If the bill included $400 for labor then it was a case of highway
robbery.  If this was a large grand that needed 2 humidifiers, 3 or more rods
and all of the necessary accompaniments, then it was a bargain.  Every
installation requires a certain amount of engineering to provide proper
control of the environment.  Several excellent articles have been published
in the Journal as well as materials being available from Dampp-Chaser and
many of the folks who sell the equipment wholesale.  Don't feel that you have
to give this stuff away for what you pay for it or that you should donate
your time for free installing.  Just by taking the time to post a question on
here you're investing time that other folks obviously aren't willing to
invest in becoming a better technician.  Therefore, use your expertise and
charge a fair amount for that as well as your labor.  Remember, as LaRoy
Edwards recently said (paraprhased), "People, we are the experts in this
field.  If we don't have the answers, who will?"

Happy Holidays,

Allan Gilreath
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
Berry College