Hammer travelling

S. Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 19:00:45 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 22 Dec 1995 DBHersh@aol.com wrote:

> At first I thought it was just a mistake at the factory but the fact that it
> is consistently in the tenor makes me wonder if it isn't done deliberately.

      Doug, when I took the Steinway factory seminar over ten years ago
the factory spec was to space the hammers to look uniform at rest, then
travel them so that they hit the strings properly spaced to the strings.
I think this might still be the way they do it. Since the unison groups
aren't always spaced consistently, they have to travel them off to one
side or the other. Doesn't make much sense to me, either.

Steve Brady, RPT
Univ. of Wash.