Key dip question

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Fri, 22 Dec 1995 22:35:35 -0500

>Sounds more like a touch weight issue than keydip.  I just lowered a B 10
>grams (from 56 to 44) and the pianist marveled at the RESPONSE.  Now we all
>know that's not what is happening, but if you make the touchweight lighter,
>you are essentially eleminating the resistance found before letoff (at least
>some).  Hence what is perceived as a more responsive key.
>Just a thought.
>
>Eric Leatha

Eric,

You said you lowered a B 10 grams.  I assume you mean touchweight of a model
B Steinway.  There are many ways to lower touchweight. Did you lower it by:

a. Increasing keylead weight

b. Reducing hammer weight

c. Changing leverage (as in moving capstan line)

d. Reducing friction

e. Some combination of the above

David C. Stanwood