Hammer travelling

Horace Greeley horace@compadept.com
Sat, 23 Dec 1995 17:25:04 -0800

At 07:46 AM 12/23/95 -0700, you wrote:
>>On Fri, 22 Dec 1995 DBHersh@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> At first I thought it was just a mistake at the factory but the fact that it
>>> is consistently in the tenor makes me wonder if it isn't done deliberately.
>>
>>    Doug, when I took the Steinway factory seminar over ten years ago
>>the factory spec was to space the hammers to look uniform at rest, then
>>travel them so that they hit the strings properly spaced to the strings.
>>I think this might still be the way they do it. Since the unison groups
>>aren't always spaced consistently, they have to travel them off to one
>>side or the other. Doesn't make much sense to me, either.
>>
>>Steve Brady, RPT
>>Univ. of Wash.
>>

>Steve,
>   Then that would mean that the agraffes are not spaced correctly, also.
Right?

>Avery

Avery & Steve, et al,

Actually you're both right.

The agraffes are not equally spaced in order to accomodate not only
manufacturing needs, but also to help balance tension throughout the scale
and down bearing pressure on the board.  "Correctly", is, in that context, a
quite relative term.

Regards,

Horace

Horace Greeley, RPT