Capstan wrench suggestion

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Sat, 01 Jul 1995 15:49:52 -0400

On 6/10 Gordon posted a question concerning adjusting capstans on '50's
vintage Kimballs with the keys that drop at the back.  The best solution
(Short of pulling each key out and guessing at the adjustment)  is to use one
of the Baldwin style capstan wrenches.  The one that I have I got at a
factory some years ago.  The wrench is made of 1/8" aluminum with a 30 degree
up bend behind the head and a second bend the opposite direction further up
the handle.  This design easily lend itself to fabricating your own with a
hack saw and a file in just a few minutes to fit just about any
configuration.  The bend keepy you from barking your knuckles on the balance
rail pins and lets you reach down to get the capstans on the sloping
keytails. Being made out of aluminum, the head will eventually wear but it is
easy to hammer the sides closer together then clean up and square the insides
with a file, plus it won't round of the shoulder on the capstans.

I don't know if this wrench is still available from Baldwin, but it might be
worth giving a call to Linda in parts.

Hope this helps.

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a
question without debating it."  - Joseph Joubert 1754-1824

Allan Gilreath
Gilerath Piano & Organ Co
Berry College
Gilreath@aol.com