Mason & Hamlin sustain pedal:

Barb Richmond brichmon@titan.iwu.edu
Wed, 05 Jul 1995 12:10:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 4 Jul 1995, MR GARRET E TRAYLOR wrote:

> -- [ From: Garret E. Traylor * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --
>
> I have a client with a squeaking pedal on her "BB".  This is a five
> year old instrument. Technicians have tried to eliminate the squeak
> applying  various types of lubricants and inverting the felt to give a
> new bearing surface.  The lady is concerned that this is a "factory
> defect".  I am sure that there is a  solution. Your advice would be
> greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you for your help
> Garret Tryalor
> Assoiciate Washington D.C.
>
> One who does not read has no advantage over one who does!

Garret,

Just this past week I serviced two (count 'em, two) instruments that had
damper heads rubbing against the plate--but they produced a sound more
like a grunt than a squeak.  When I worked for a piano dealer, I
frequently had to re-align pedal lever mechanisms in upright pianos to
get them to stop sqeaking (I lubed everything, only re-aligning helped).

Barbara Richmond
Illinois Wesleyan University
Bloomington, Illinois
brichmon@titan.iwu.edu