Mic vs. Caliper

Kam544@aol.com Kam544@aol.com
Thu, 06 Jul 1995 01:04:52 -0400

Lloyd Schultz posted:

<<Is there a major difference between a micrometer and a dial caliper?>>

Dear Lloyd,

Yes, there is a difference and your choice of application determines which
one would suit your purposes.

I started out with a basic micrometer many years ago for measuring tuning
pins, but was never satisfied with its operation.  It seemed slow and
awkward.  I finally decided to purchase a caliper, however a digital one!
 Since that time that basic micrometer has become history for my particular
uses.

Measuring center pins, tuning pins, bass strings, and music wire are some of
its uses with ease of operation and phenomenal accuracy.  I even check all
new inventory before using in a piano.  There are package markings errors in
the past, not much, but one time is too much if you try to work with parts
that are inconsistent and incorrect and wonder what went wrong.

There are also, sophisticated digital micrometers in the marketplace that do
all these measurements as well that must equally be a joy to own and use, if
not more so.  I however, have not invested in one as yet.

What an individual is willing to spend is usually the dividing line between
wishing to have one of these current state of the art tools and needing to
have one to perform the work at hand.  Doing the job more efficiently, more
timely, and more accurately is always the order of business from my point of
view, and is worth the extra expense for the extra results.

As for me and my household, I'm hooked.  I fully intend never to have to
return to the basic micrometer, anymore than I will hopefully never have to
return to the typewriter (manual or electric) to compose and print these very
words I post.

Thank you for the oppor-tune-ity to elucidate.

In fact, thank you Mr. Reeves for Pianotech!!

Keith A. McGavern, RPT
Oklahoma Chapter