piano tuning studies

BDeTar@aol.com BDeTar@aol.com
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 13:44:25 -0400

Helmut,

I don't want to speak for "all" technicians, but I believe a significant
number of us do not use "C" as a starting point.  This is due to the very
error you speak of.  Around 1917, International Pitch was established as "key
number 49", A= 440cps. Therefore, it makes sense to use that as our starting
point to maintain the integrity of (at least!) that note.

As to the "standard frequency service", we also have that here in the USA.
 Just pick up the phone and listen to the dial tone.  You will hear 440cps
tone as one of the tones which make up our dial tone.  One has to wonder,
what is it about 440cps that's so special? :-)>

Brian De Tar  RPT
BDeTar@aol.com