Dampers

Laurence Beach lbeach@sfu.ca
Sun, 01 Oct 1995 21:17:27 -0700 (PDT)

The question of new dampers on old pianos has always been a tricky one
for me.  I have been trying to mute out the last lingering harmonics of
an upright on the first of the trichords at the copper/steel break.  I've
tried an oversized trichord damper, as well as various combinations of block
and trichords.  I've tried moving the damper up and down all over the
place, but to no avail.  I have it pretty good now, and few would
complain about it, but there is still that last lingering harmonic that
lasts a fraction of a second.  I've wondered if there is a more compact
type of felt available somewhere, or some other solution that I'm not
aware of.  Any ideas?
Trying, trying, and still trying.
Laurence Beach
Vancovuer, B.C.