Voicing ideal per Dolge

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Sun, 08 Oct 1995 15:34:08 -0400

This quote from "Pianos and their Makers" puts in a nutshell what I describe
as the Gradient Zone concept of voicing:

"The art in hammer making has ever been to obtain a solid,
 firm foundation, graduating in softness and elasticity toward
 the top surface, which latter has to be silky and elastic in
 order to produce a mild, soft tone for pianissimo playing, but
 with sufficient resistace back of it to permit the hard blow
 of fortissimo playing."         - Alfred Dolge 1911

I find it difficult to imagine a more succinct way of saying it.  My hat is
ever off to Alfred Dolge.  If any of you are not familiar with the man and
his work I strongly recommended reading up on him, especially the 1980
biography by Eleanor Franz.

David C. Stanwood