Tuning in 1895

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Fri, 13 Oct 1995 12:40:14 -0600

>Fred,  et al.
>How many of the current RPT's could pass the tests today?

I don't know about other chapters, but in ours I'd say all of them. Some of
the Associates certainly could as well. Our chapter (001) has 35 members at
present.

>Until there is equity in the title RPT, I will continue to "boycott" the RPT
>exam.

I don't think there will ever be "equity" simply because there isn't in most
other professions either. There are doctors, lawyers and priests out there
who probably couldn't pass their respective exams again, so why should we be
any different? I think most RPTs agree that their skills improve over time
and even if they were originally grandfathered in at some point and may not
have been able to pass the test then, they could by now.

>The exams are very well designed, and certainly can be a judge of a
>technicians ability.

I agree. However they are bare minimum standards and once they are completed
you can basically do anything the way you want to do it.

>How about a classification of:    Registered Piano Technician  and
> Registered Piano Technician ( Grandfathered in, and not tested recently)

I would suggest that periodic "testing" takes place at seminars and
conferences for the most part. There will always be those who retain their
membership in the PTG merely for the status, but the only way we can change
that is from within, not without. As long as the PTG is an organization of
registered professional piano technicians only franchised members will be
able to change the system.

                John
John Musselwhite, RPT               Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com              sysop@67.cambo.cuug.ab.ca