an actual piano question

Pianocraft@aol.com Pianocraft@aol.com
Sat, 14 Oct 1995 16:10:47 -0400

Gordon,

I dont suggest using the spoon type reamers APSCO sells. I have some but
have never been able to get them to work. The safest method is to drill out
with either a J bit .277 or a K bit .281. I have had good luck using a J size
jobber bit for 4/0 pins. You may also try using strait fluted reamers. They
are more difficult to control and you should practice on an old discarded pin
block first. Remember that with a maple block the original hole was .257 or
there about and received a .282 pin. Your 3/0 pins may require 5/0 pins to be
tight especially in the bass. As a rule if a J bit is tight in the hole then
a 4/0 pin will work. Good luck.

John Hartman