Tech training

PNOTNR@aol.com PNOTNR@aol.com
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 22:59:44 -0400

>what is
>the typical "track" that people take toward being independent in this
>profession, toward becoming an RPT and so on?

For me it was a one semester course in college, then a correspondence course,
then I worked with a guy who was a "tooner" (but thought he was a master),
then I joined PTG, passed the test a year later. then I just tried to read
everything I could get my hands on.  It seems to me that the best way to go
would be to attend a school like North Bennet St., but for me that looks
unlikely now.  I feel like my knowlege is kind of like swiss cheese: I think
I know a lot, but every so often I'll find a hole where some basic knowlege
that everyone else seems to know somehow missed me on my eclectic journey.
 I'd consider you very fortunate to have had the opportunity to study with a
good RPT for a year.

As far as establishing an independent technicians business, a rule of thumb
(just where does "rule of thumb" come from, anyway?) I learned was to plan on
taking 5 years for a new business to become successful.  This was true in my
case.  The first few years, while building a customer file, any profit wound
up going right back into the business.  My wife's job was paying the bills
during this time.  After about 5 years, I was earning enough so that she
didn't have to work....at least not full time.

At about 7 years into the business we moved to Maine, and I started all over,
but the second time around I didn't need to reinvest any income in tools and
the like, so I was able to establish a comfortable living in about three
years.  Jeez, if it weren't for health insurance, I'd be getting rich!

Gordon Large, slowly filling in the cheese holes
Mt. Vernon, ME