Steinway boards

Stephen Birkett SBIRKETT@envsci.uoguelph.ca
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 11:23:08 -0400 (EDT)

Can one of you guys/gals with intimate contact with Steinway
clear-up a conflict of information.

I was once told by North Hudson Woodcraft that they ship full-size
soundboard panels to Steinway, as opposed to just rough lumber...I
assume they mean glued-up oversize panels which are then completed
(ribbed, crowned, finished etc. in the Steinway factory). I
mentioned this information in response to a question on
rec.music.makers.piano (newsgroup), to which I received various
attacks from a Mr Bob Sneider. He maintains that Steinway receives
only a fraction of their stock from North Hudson, mostly they use
Sitka from the NW, and that they *never* receive anything but rough
lumber (he mentioned getting this information from F. Mohr). Apart
from the aggressiveness of Mr Snyder's posts (which annoyed me) I am
curious to know the *true* story on this...so, do any of you
Steinway intimates know the history of Steinway boards, from tree to
board? Perhaps Mr Mohr was simply exercising public relations when Mr
Snyder called him.

Another point: Since the mechanical properties of Sitka and Eastern
White Spruce are so different, quality control would imply that they
should not use them interchangeably, sometimes getting lumber from
North Hudson, sometimes Sitka.

Stephen Birkett (Fortepianos)
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
tel: 519-885-2228
fax: 519-763-4686