SAT magnetic pick up

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Thu, 01 Aug 1996 09:56:08 -0400

    I have found that a fast spinning ceiling fan overhead will wreak havoc
    during a tuning.  I tuned a nice Yamaha studio vertical in my early
    years with my then new accu-tuner.  During the tuning, though, I found
    that the lights were spinning and turning with a mind of their own -
    something I had not experienced before.  I was confused and had no idea
    what was going on.  Maybe, I thought, my new machine was defective.
    Maybe I was in the twilight zone - I just wanted to escape alive!  So I
    continued and plodded through over 3/4 of the tuning only to discover
    (or wake-up and realize) that a ceiling fan was spinning above me in the
    room.  I politely asked the customer to turn it off as I thought that
    maybe it was having a detrimental effect on my tuning.  With the fan
    safely disabled I went back over what I had already done and discovered
    that, "man, did that fan have an (negative) effect!"  I essentially had
    to re-do all my previous work.

    At that point I also learned a very important lesson for me as an ETD
    user:  no matter how tired I am or how late in the day it is or how hot
    it is in the room I shouldn't rely ONLY on the spinning lights!  I've
    got to perform aural checks as I go.  And I must do aural checks when
    I'm through.  As all have said before me, the accu-tuner is a tool and
    should not be used as a crutch.  A strong foundation in aural tuning is
    imperative before putting the device into your hands.

    John Piesik
    San Diego Chapter PTG
    JPIESIK@ARINC.COM

    "The only explanation I have, so far, is that an electromagnetic
    interference of a definite frequency equivalent to a slightly
    underpitched F was omnipresent in the room.  I know it was not caused
    by martians because I did not see any alien spacecraft flying over the
    building :-).  Seriously, it was the only time a magnetic pick up was
    of no use in the FAC measurement.  Has anyone experienced something
    like that?"  Michel Lachance, RPT

    "I haven't had the exact type of experience you describe with the
    magnetic pick-up, but have had to relocate the SAT because heating/air
    conditioning units create certain frequencies that register as certain
    notes being played."  Keith A. McGavern, RPT