Strip Mute It?

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Wed, 07 Aug 1996 14:33:16 -0400

    To all SAT users:

    "To strip mute or not to strip mute?  That is the question."

    When you're using your SAT how many of you strip mute the entire piano?
    or any portion of it?

    Do you strip mute every piano in every situation?  or are there cases
    where you feel it's not productive to strip mute?  or cases where you
    feel it's absolutely necessary to strip mute?

    I used to strip mute, but now I don't (haven't for a couple of years).
    I use 2 paps mutes to tune a vertical and 2 wedge mutes to tune a grand
    - that's it.  I begin at A0 and continue through C8, tuning unisons
    aurally as I go, fininshing with several aural checks.  It's a fast and
    stable method, and the SAT is "accurately consistent."  It works for me
    as I currently tend to be more of a "repair, regulation, shop work" type
    as opposed to the "finesse tuner" type.  But, since tuning is the "bread
    and butter" of our craft, one cannot ignore it (tuning).  (Although, I
    sure enjoy the steak and eggs!)

    I'm curious as to how others use their SAT.  I'm open to
    comments/criticism.

    Regards,

    John Piesik
    San Diego Chapter PTG