Floatin' Fool

WScharbrou@aol.com WScharbrou@aol.com
Thu, 08 Aug 1996 00:45:44 -0400

Dear list,
If a piano is tuned at a-440 and then we don't listen to it for six months or
so you mean it goes out of tune?   Well all this time I thought it was like
the tree in the woods that fell over but nobody could hear  it so it didn't
make any difference.....

I know different parts of the country have climates unlike the midwest so
these comments  might not apply for all.  In practice room and teaching
studio situations I deliberately try to keep the pianos closest to pitch
relative to the  main part of the school year.  Here in Indiana that means
October through April when the heat is on.  Especially the rooms for
instrumentalists. ( I've heard it said most pianists are not as critical of
pitch because they have little  ability to control it. Or was that vocalists
they were talking about?)  May through September I let the pianos go/ stay
sharp of pitch and will only lower the pitch if it is more than 10 or 12
cents sharp.   Since many of these pianos are not used in the summer the
pitch variance is often not a priority.

Granted I can't do this with every piano but it sure does help take a load
off.  I think it also helps keep those pianos a little more solid in their
tunings. This seems to work well for me but I'd like to hear your comments or
questions.

Bill Scharbrough RPT
Indianapolis