Kawai Plexiglass Piano

WScharbrou@aol.com WScharbrou@aol.com
Thu, 08 Aug 1996 01:42:57 -0400

---prevoius post------
There is a picture of the clear acrylic Kawai on The Piano Page if that's
what you're referring to.

I got a chance to play (and tune) one in the eighties. It tuned OK, but
sounded pretty poor compaged to a regular KG series grand. It had very
little resonance and no carrying power whatsoever as I recall.

It was an interesting gimmick though...

			John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com

---end previous post----

Dear list,
At one time I had a model KG-3D 6' Kawai piano in a plexiglass case at my
store. The picture on the piano page was taken  in 1993 at the Indianapolis
Children's Museum during the time the piano was on loan to us from Kawai.
 Unlike John's experience, I found the piano to be very similar to the
regular series Kawai the same size.  The tone really didn't seem to be
greatly different.  The newer actions employ a butterfly type spring and
seems nicer.
As John says, it was a great gimmick.  According to the Museum, May (the
month they had the piano) is their busiest month because of the added traffic
the Indianapolis 500 brings.  Their attendance was  over two hundred thousand
people.
Along with the piano we also sent a Kawai action model for a hands on
display. After watching every kid  and parent pound on it five or six times I
truly began to realize what a neat piece of machinery a piano action is.
 That action model probably got over a million hits that month! Sure it's a
gimmick but what a tremendous way to introduce lots of people to the piano.
 We all should be looking for those unusual ways to promote both ourselves
and the instrument we work on.

Bill Scharbrough RPT