Polyester Patches-

TunerJeff@aol.com TunerJeff@aol.com
Thu, 08 Aug 1996 11:50:24 -0400

Dear Jim,
     I'm sorry that your refinishers aren't familiar with polyester patching!
I've had the good fortune to have professionals in my area to handle these
cases (..pun intended), and DO NOT pretend to be a pro.

     The only re-finishing I do is for pianos I'm re-building for re-sale
(... so I'm not experimenting on customer's pianos either!).

    But, the guys I deal with actually ENJOY polyester fixes! The polyester
is easier to match than wood-grain, and most of the finesse involved is in
blending the repair to the surrounding areas. Watching them work is more like
watching a auto-refinisher, as this involves careful buffing and polishing...
rather than cutting veneer and matching grain patterns/colors.

     I throw this question to the List! Who's got the expertise to answer
this question? Or can suggest a retail product-line for polyester patching?
Would Young Chang offer a solution? Over the years I've seen presentations on
poly-patching... but I've always left it to those who prefer the work.

Help!

Jeffrey T. Hickey  RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services

ps-
(Did I duck and weave well?)
     A few years back; Yamaha had all their District Sales Managers attend a
class on poly-patching. Each DM was handed a finished piece of board, and
they spent a day bashing the finish, burning the finish, and scratching the
finish... and then repairing the damage. According to Laroy Edwards, these
still hang on the walls at Yamaha dealerships (...as they couldn't believe
how good the finished results actually were).

    If nobody leaps into the fray with help, I will call-up my re-finishers
and see if someone wants to stick their foot into it. Let me know!

jef

post-postscript-
     I notice that your name was followed by "I.P.T" in the last post.
Does that mean; Interesting Piano Tuner? Or something else???