Kawai Plexiglass Piano; grand action

Frederick G Scoles scoles@Oswego.Oswego.EDU
Thu, 08 Aug 1996 13:31:46 -0400 (EDT)

> Along with the piano we also sent a Kawai action model for a hands on
> display. After watching every kid  and parent pound on it five or six times I
> truly began to realize what a neat piece of machinery a piano action is.
>  That action model probably got over a million hits that month! Sure it's a
> gimmick but what a tremendous way to introduce lots of people to the piano.
>  We all should be looking for those unusual ways to promote both ourselves
> and the instrument we work on.
>
> Bill Scharbrough RPT
> co owner The Piano Merchant, Inc.
> Indianapolis, IN

At our college, music majors can take Physics 204, "Physics of Musical
Instruments and Temperaments".  Paul Kupelian and I provided them with a
grand action model about 5 yrs. ago.  To our amazement, they have used it
for various
physics homework problems; and have "played" it so much that I have to
regulate it twice a semester.  Several students commented that it doesn't
respond well on the Fourier Spectrum Analyzer, though.

Fred Scoles, RPT;  Oswego, NY