Hammer felt loose from core

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 22:28:29 -0800 (PST)

Ted,
	I was taught originally that once the felt comes off the core
that the hammer is shot.  Being the type that has to try everything
once, I did, (a few years back).  I used Elmers wood glue and put the
hammer in a vice for a few days.  It held really well.  I was so excited
that it worked, that I couldn't wait to tell everyone my new discovery.
Not only that but it was a tight hold.
	I reinstalled the hammer only to discover that it had the worse
tone of any hammer that I have ever heard.  I learned my lesson.
	I don't regret trying this however.  It was very educational.  I
now realize the importance of the great hydraulic presses that they use
in making hammers.  I thought a several hundred pounds of tension would
have the same effect as several thousand.

Ron Shiflet, RPT

A month or 2 ago we had a discussion about what to do about hammer felt
that has broken away from the core.  I tried all of the glues that were
suggested, tied the hammer up with heavy cord,let the glue dry overnight
and in the morning cut away the cords.  Everything looked o.k. but about
an
hour later I discovered that the felt was slowly breaking away again.  I
used Weldbond, Titebond, Super glue, contact cement, and epoxy.  None of
them held.  So, Newton, I think it was you who said to replace the
hammers.
Pat yourself on the back.  That's what my next step is.

Ted Simmons, Merritt Island, FL