key bushings

DBHersh@aol.com DBHersh@aol.com
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 16:36:57 -0400

<<
 After tiring of seeing my new bushings go to @$#!&%!! in a matter of months
 I started doubting the use of McLube.  So I did some tests.  On new
 bushings I tried McLube (on the pin, on the cloth, and both) using the
 original formula,the 25L, and the 444A, others I treated the cloth with a
 small amount of Protek, and others were left with only pin polishing.

 After six months, the McLube bushings were all shot, the untreated bushings
 showed some wear, and the Protek bushings had negligible wear.

 I have found that McLube, in all its formulas, eventually gums up and
 causes a great deal of friction.  I don't use it any more and have donated
 our case of it to the Lyric Opera Theater shop for them to use as it was
 intended - a mold release.  I am convinced that it never was meant to be
 and therefore should not be used as a long-term lubricant.

 Since purging the shop of McLube bushing jobs are enjoyable again, Knowing
 that they won't be back in the shop any time soon!

 Later.

 ----
 Rick Florence, Piano Technician
  Arizona State University School of Music >>
Rick,
   Thank you for the tips, very interesting thoughts on McLube. I will
investigate. I have followed up on it and I haven't seen any indication of
gumming up in the past after more than a year in the field in a fairly high
use situation. I have often felt uncomfortable using a product that was meant
for such a differnt purpose though.
Doug Hershberger,RPT