follow up on statistics

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 09:26:26 -0500

To Paul and the list

As a follow up on Paul's request for how many pianos and piano tuner there
are, I wrote the following article for the St. Louis Chapter newsletter, The
Gateway Tuner,  several years ago. I Thought you might get a kick out of it.

According to the National Piano Foundation, there are curruntly 30 million
pianos in America. According to the PTG there are about 10,000 full time
piano tuners in this country. A full time piano tuner is capable of servicing
about 2000 per year. If all of those piano tuners worked full time to service
their 2000 pianos, there would still be some 10 million pianos that would
never get tuned. What a shame.

To put it another way, if 10,000 piano tuners were to tune those 30 million
pianas on a regular twice a year basis, each piano tuner would need to tune
6000 pianos a year. That comes to 115 per week, or 16 pianos per day, 7 days
a week. Looking at the bright side, however, if a piano tuner charged $60,00
per tuning, his annual income would be $360,000.

Willem Blees  RPT
St. Louis