Let My Hammer Go!

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Sun, 29 Dec 1996 06:59:53 -0500

Thanks, Guys -

I appreciated the many quick responses.

After sending the post, I tuned a 1-year-old Petrof studio piano that hung my
#2 tip moderately on some of the tuning pins.  One of the replies suggested
magnetism, which certainly could be introduced by the thousands of small
impacts against the tuning pins over the years; however, magnetism, it seems
to me, would be equal with each pin, and only some bothered, some more than
others.

Since it was a European piano (tendency for smaller pins), I dedided to
experiment, and tried my #1 tip (rarely used over the years) and had no
difficulty removing from the tuning pins; however, the tip would not go fully
on to the pin and I kept feeling as though it was sliding off while tuning.

My #3 tip (which I have used a fair amount after hearing recommendation for
that size from Jim Coleman, Sr.) did hang on some, but not as much as the #2.

Could wear be the factor?  Worn key bushings can cause keys to hang, why not
tuning hammer tips?  After reading Willem's suggestion, I will look for
hairline cracks.

Thanks again for all your input.

Bill Maxim, RPT