hammer butt springs

ATodd@UH.EDU ATodd@UH.EDU
Thu, 01 Feb 1996 16:24:10 -0600 (CST)

Bob,
   I agree with Keith's response about the fishing line. I've used it a
couple of times for repairs when I had nothing else available and it seems
to work well. Just be sure the glue joint is good. It's appreciably stiffer
than the silk cord. But I would think it would last a LONG time.
   If anyone knows a reason why this is not a good material to use, i.e.
squeaking noises with the spring, interaction with the spring, etc. I would
like to hear about it.
   I have 20+ Yamaha Studio pianos here and just about all of them have some
broken cords. I've even thought about trying to get someone (or two) and
pay them a few dollars to make those repairs for me. I have so many old
grands to work on, those silk cords are kind of low on my priority list.
   Thanks.

Avery Todd, RPT
University of Houston
atodd@uh.edu