Back Issues On Line / CD

Horace Greeley horace@compadept.com
Mon, 01 Jan 1996 22:25:04 -0800

At 10:26 AM 1/1/96 -0700, you wrote:
>I have been talking to our librarian about donating my back issues of the
>Journal and Technician to the music media division at Douglass Campus of
>Rutgers Univ.
>
>I have the entire set of Journals and the Technicians back to about 1947.
>
>These Jouranls would be made available to the entire world through the media
>services links to all institutions and individuals.  Any article request would
>be copies from the original and send out at minum cost.
>
>I can speak to our librarian about conversion to microfiche, CD-ROM or online
>readable database, but considering the cost I doubt its favorability.
>
>If this service is of interst to anyone please send me a note that I can pass
>onto our librarian.  The more requests I can get the sooner it will be done.
>
>Another thought I have had is to donate libraries to the local library to make
>the information available to any and all of interest.  They can be placed in
>reserves, not to be checkedout, but to be copied, read and researched.
>
>Please post your interest, or non interest to me at
>
>     Newton J. Hunt
>     nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
>
>Happy New Year!

Newton,

I am taking the liberty of posting your message again in full for those who
might have missed it.

It might, on this forum be preaching to the converted, but the importance of
this kind of donation is hard to over-emphasize.  Much of the substantive
research I have done in the last decade has been online, one way or another.
Having electronic access to a library such as yours through a place such as
Rutgers would represent an important contribution to keeping our art alive.
My only regret is that I had not found a place for my own collection, and
had to dispose of it privately.

As to CD and/or direct online research.  The cost of CD production (as noted
in this forum elsewhere) has dropped dramatically, and there are a fair
number of search engines which can be built into a specific disc.  Direct
online is more problematic, largely due to the need for large amounts of
online storage.  There, too, there are alternatives, depending on what
technology is available to you.  Many major law firms and gov. agencies now
have most of their working documentation online.

Hope this helps to do two things: 1.- that you will be able to work things
out with the folks at Douglas; and, 2.- encourage others to do the same.

Good luck!

Horace

Horace Greeley, RPT
Piano Technician & Consultant