removing celluloid keytops

GABRIEL ZWIERSKI 75120.1363@compuserve.com
Sun, 07 Jan 1996 12:04:34 -0500 (EST)

Alan et al.
      I'd like to touch on a highly flamable issue
      TNT is TriNitroToluene, not TriNitrocellulose Toluene.  It takes an
explosion to get it to explode.  Besides it's too soft and brittle for
keycoverings.
      Cellulose Nitrate was developed in the 1890's as an ivory substitute for
billiard balls.  This did not last too long as the balls had a tendancy to
explode.  As I understand, the development of cellulose acetate (which does not
explode, but burns well) a few years later, overcame this tendancy.  Most (if
not all) of the "Celluloid" that I have come into contact with is (I believe) of
the acetate variety.  Non-explosive, but still highly flamable.  Paint
manufacturers made nitrocellulose-based Laquers (read "piano finish") until a
few years ago when OSHA stepped in.
      As for hazardous materials in the workplace, there is a book, written
primarily for artists (paintbrush types, not the concert bench variety) that
lists materials and the health hazards associated with them. I have a copy here
somewhere(if it hasn't dissolved from some of the materials I use !-).  When I
find it I'll upload the title and ISBN.

            Gabriel Zwierski