working for a university

Yardbird47@aol.com Yardbird47@aol.com
Mon, 08 Jan 1996 23:07:18 -0500

allen@pengar.com rote 1/6:
<<Thanks for all of your comments in your email!  I didn't understand your
comments about stability.  Would you please elaborate a bit about doing the
bumps.>>

A bump is simply a rotational nudge on the tuning hammer in either the sharp
or flat direction. For it not to upset the unison you're stress-testing, it
should be slight enough that the momentary twist doesn't go below the portion
of the tuning out in open air. But the pair of bumps must be of equal degrees
(rotation), because you're listening to the speaking length's response to a
jog of tension in either direction. Because you're looking to see which
direction (sharp or flat) the speaking length is quickest (actually closest)
to change in, it'll be meaningless if the bumps aren't of equal size.

If you're interested in more, check out Richard Anderson's apt analogy for
the movement of wire across friction barriers in the PTJournal 3/95, or my
own ramblings on the coordination of string and pin friction in tuning
mechanics PTJ 2-3/91.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapt.

"You'll make more money selling my advice than following it" Steve Forbes,
quoting his father, Malcom.