Rodents

PaulStep@aol.com PaulStep@aol.com
Mon, 08 Jan 1996 23:56:06 -0500

I had a similar experience to Barb's.  Under the keys I found 2 mumified
mice.  My kids took the nest and the mice to school for show and tell.

On a more serious side.  When dealing with mice in a piano, there are some
important safety considerations.  In the mountain west there is a problem
with the hanta virus which is carried by the deer mouse.  It causes severe
respiratory problems and eventually respiratory failure in a significant
number of cases.  The number that comes to mind is 4 out of 5 are fatalities,
but this may not be accurate.

The general recommendation is that the mouse dropping & nests not be vacuumed
out.  This simply spreads the virus.  The mouse deposits should be sprayed
and removed wet with rubber gloves.  This significantly raises the time,
trouble, and cost of cleanup; I am very reluctant to clean mouse droppings,
etc, from pianos.  I will provide some written instructions from the county
agent or some other recognized authority, but the customer gets to do the
dirty work him/herself.  I'm not really willing to take the risks associated
with cleaning up after mice.  Other areas may not have this threat.  If you
don't, consider yourselves lucky.  Keep in mind,though, that pianos often
migrate farther than mice.

Paul Stephens RPT
Ogden, Utah